TC candidacy

Greetings -

I would like to run for a TC seat as well. My platform is a focus on deployment and operations for OpenStack. I'm not going to mince words: deploying OpenStack is hard. Maintaining it is even harder. I don't think it needs to be this way. I spent two years designing and deploying a cloud based on OpenStack and it really seemed much harder to do than it should have been, especially when you factor in configuration management tools.

I would like to promote a more operational approach to the decisions made inside the OpenStack community. Some of it is easy, some of it is hard. I don't expect things to change overnight, but I do feel that a course correction is needed, that it's going to need to come from a whole project approach as well as code contribution, and that now is the time to make it.

As I said, I spent the last two years as an implementor of OpenStack with the DreamCompute project at DreamHost and have now moved on to a new position as a solutions architect at Midokura. These positions have given (and continue to give) me a customer perspective of what it takes to deploy, maintain, and upgrade OpenStack in production. While my company supports me and my desire to run for the TC, I'm running independent of my company in order to keep a vendor neutral approach.

Thanks for your time!
  -Carl

Follow ups