Is it possible to change VM NIC into a new subnet without rebuild?

Hi,

We want  somehow to add a new interface to a running VM. To modify an existing interface (by assigning it to a new subnet) could be also an alternative.
We tried the following:

Quantum port-update <port-id> --device_id <new VM id>
This worked but required nova rebuild command.

Quantum port-update <port-id> --fixed_ip ip_address=x.x.x.x
This command was executed successfully but did not have any effect.

Do you have any suggestions what we could try next or is this currently something that is not possible to do?

BR
Johanna

Follow ups