Re: [Nova] Creating instances with custom UUIDs

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 9:16 AM, Rafael Rosa <rafaelrosafu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In our OpenStack installation we have an issue when creating new instances,
> we need to execute some long running processes before calling "nova boot"
> and the call blocks for the end user for a while. We would like to return
> "immediately" to the caller with a final instance UUID and do the work on
> the background, but it's only generated when during actual instance
> creation, which is a no go in our situation.

The instance_create database call already accepts an instance UUID as
an argument, so that bit looks like it should work out well for you.
So, I guess this is mostly a case of working out how you want the API
to work.

Personally, I would have no problem with something like this, so long
as we could somehow "reserve" the instance UUID so that another caller
doesn't try and create an instance with the same UUID while you're
doing your slow thing.

Cheers,
Michael