Re: controller and network node, same machine?

well its me playing around with openstack so I wouldnt say "production" environment.
but certainly on a dedicated rack full of nodes that just do openstack.
running ubuntu 12.04lts on everything.

the controller+network is on its own box with a boatload of ethernet connections
around to various places including the dual ethernet dual switch compute nodes.

vm to vm is good, vm to anywhere else not so much.

On 04/12/2013 10:32 AM, Pranav wrote:
> [...]
> it worked for me.
>
> Regards, Pranav
>

> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:35 PM, Guilherme Russi <luisguilherme.cr@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:luisguilherme.cr@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
> Hello Steve, I had a lot of troubles deploying my openstack and putting my controller
> node at the same physical machine with my network node, I have 2 NICs in my
> controller + network node, if you need help, I can help you.
>
> Regards.
>
> Guilherme.
>

> 2013/4/12 Steve Heistand <steve.heistand@xxxxxxxx <mailto:steve.heistand@xxxxxxxx>>
>
> mostly Im concerned about the quantum/OVS/qre settings. there are distinct difference
> in the values in the ovs_quantum_plugin.ini file depending on what type of node the
> agent is running on. I wasnt sure if it going to work. The problems Ive been having
> are all network related all centered around getting VMs on compute nodes to be able
> to see something besides another VM in their tenant. ie the outside world. But my
> network/ovs-fu is limited so its entirely possible its my fault. just wanted to see
> if it was even possible in the first place.

> On 04/12/2013 06:05 AM, Mohammed Amine SAYA wrote:
>> Hi Steve,
>
>> Why do you say that? I am curious to learn about the difficulties you have had.
>
>> I also tried to have controller node and network node running on the same machine
>> but I have never managed to ping a running VM in this configuration with FOLSOM
>> release. Everything was working fine but impossible to ping a VM.
>
>> Amine.
>

>> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Steve Heistand <steve.heistand@xxxxxxxx
>> <mailto:steve.heistand@xxxxxxxx> <mailto:steve.heistand@xxxxxxxx
>> <mailto:steve.heistand@xxxxxxxx>>> wrote:
>
>> so Im beginning to think my attempts at getting a controller node and a network
>> node to be on the same physical machines/OS are doomed.
>
>> is it even possible to have all the controller and network node features on the
>> same box? Aside from one of them being in a VM that is.
>
>> thanks

>> -- ************************************************************************ Steve
>> Heistand                           NASA Ames Research Center SciCon Group Mail Stop
>> 258-6steve.heistand@xxxxxxxx <mailto:steve.heistand@xxxxxxxx>
> <mailto:steve.heistand@xxxxxxxx <mailto:steve.heistand@xxxxxxxx>> (650)
>> 604-4369 <tel:%28650%29%20604-4369>  Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000
>> ************************************************************************ "Any
>> opinions expressed are those of our alien overlords, not my own."
>
>> # For Remedy                        # #Action: Resolve                    #
>> #Resolution: Resolved               # #Reason: No Further Action Required #
>> #Tier1: User Code                   # #Tier2: Other                       #
>> #Tier3: Assistance                  # #Notification: None                 #

- --
 Steve Heistand                          NASA Ames Research Center
 email: steve.heistand@xxxxxxxx          Steve Heistand/Mail Stop 258-6
 ph: (650) 604-4369                      Bldg. 258, Rm. 232-5
 Scientific & HPC Application            P.O. Box 1
 Development/Optimization                Moffett Field, CA 94035-0001