[Quantum] Query regarding floating IP configuration

Hi All,

I am trying to setup openstack in my lab, where i have a plan to run
Controller+Network node on one physical machine and two compute node.
Controller/Network physical machine has 2 NIc, one connected to externet
network (internet) and second nic is on private network.

OS Network Administrator Guide says "The node running quantum-l3-agent
should not have an IP address manually configured on the NIC connected to
the external network. Rather, you must have a range of IP addresses from
the external network that can be used by OpenStack Networking for routers
that uplink to the external network.". So my confusion is, if i want to
send any REST API call to my controller/network node from external network,
i obviously need public IP address. But instruction i quoted says that we
should not have manual IP address on the NIC.

Does it mean we can't create floating IP pool in this kind of setup? Or we
need 3 NIC, 1 for private network, 1 for floating ip pool creation and 1
for external access to the machine?

OR is it that we can assign the public ip address to the br-ex, and remove
it from physical NIC? Please let me know if my query is not clear.
--
Thanks
Anil

Follow ups