There is also need for "Data Network" with ideally a third NIC (if you want to provide separate IP ranges for API and data network) but you can bypass that in a lab environment by assumpting that your data network IP range is externally reachable and consequently the management IP of the controler/network node is the public IP (for the API purpose) (here, NIC2 IP address)

Is it clearer ?

-Sylvain

Le 18/04/2013 21:00, Anil Vishnoi a écrit :
Re-sending it, with the hope of response :-)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Anil Vishnoi* <vishnoianil@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:vishnoianil@xxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 1:59 AM
Subject: [Openstack][Quantum] Query regarding floating IP configuration
To: "openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

Hi All,

I am trying to setup openstack in my lab, where i have a plan to run Controller+Network node on one physical machine and two compute node. Controller/Network physical machine has 2 NIc, one connected to externet network (internet) and second nic is on private network.

OS Network Administrator Guide says "The node running quantum-l3-agent should not have an IP address manually configured on the NIC connected to the external network. Rather, you must have a range of IP addresses from the external network that can be used by OpenStack Networking for routers that uplink to the external network.". So my confusion is, if i want to send any REST API call to my controller/network node from external network, i obviously need public IP address. But instruction i quoted says that we should not have manual IP address on the NIC.

Does it mean we can't create floating IP pool in this kind of setup? Or we need 3 NIC, 1 for private network, 1 for floating ip pool creation and 1 for external access to the machine?

OR is it that we can assign the public ip address to the br-ex, and remove it from physical NIC? Please let me know if my query is not clear.
--
Thanks
Anil

--