Understanding the metadata service

Even after reading all the posts and IRC chatter regarding how to
configure VM metadata services, I'm no closer to understanding how
this should be set up in *my* environment. As it stands, my VMs are
fully functional (available from external network via floaters) but
cannot connect to 169.254.169.254.

I am running Grizzly on Raring, with per-tenant routers,
ip-namespaces/overlapping-ips, GRE tunneling, and a separate network
node with three NICs for public, management, and vm config nets.
Also:

I have nova-api installed on the compute node.  It is listening for
8775 on the controller's management network.

The relavent configurations:

controller nova.conf:
----------
service_quantum_metadata_proxy = True
quantum_metadata_proxy_shared_secret = PvUafKreIImX3OePynlc
metadata_host = 192.168.241.100
metadata_listen = 192.168.241.100
metadata_listen_port = 8775

net-node quantum.conf / dhcp_agent.ini / l3_agent.ini
----------
allow_overlapping_ips = True

net-node metadata_agent.ini
----------
nova_metadata_ip = 192.168.241.100
nova_metadata_port = 8775
metadata_proxy_shared_secret = PvUafKreIImX3OePynlc

compute nodes nova.conf
service_quantum_metadata_proxy = True
quantum_metadata_proxy_shared_secret = PvUafKreIImX3OePynlc

What am I missing here?  Thanks in advance.

--
\*..+.-
--Greg Chavez