Re: security blueprint related to os binaries

On 14/05/13 12:02, Stanislav Pugachev wrote:
Hi,
I've added a blueprint https://blueprints.launchpad.net/hacking/+spec/absolute-paths-of-os-binaries
Please, take a look and let's discuss it if it makes sense.
Thank you
Stas.

Am I correct in thinking that, if the attacker is able to modify $PATH in the environment under which nova etc runs, you've already lost?

I would argue this is at worst a packaging bug, assuming packagers are not explicitly defining the $PATH variable as part of the init scripts.

P.S. the openstack-dev mailing list is generally where blueprint discussion happens :)

Thanks,
Kiall