Cinder's LVM vg creation when installing Grizzly

Hi,

I have questions regarding this part of the Grizzly install guide that's up
on github:

.         Finally, don't forget to create a volumegroup and name it
cinder-volumes:

.         dd if=/dev/zero of=cinder-volumes bs=1 count=0 seek=2G
.         losetup /dev/loop2 cinder-volumes
.         fdisk /dev/loop2
.         #Type in the followings:
.         n
.         p
.         1
.         ENTER
.         ENTER
.         t
.         8e
.         w

.         Proceed to create the physical volume then the volume group:

.         pvcreate /dev/loop2
.         vgcreate cinder-volumes /dev/loop2

Note: Beware that this volume group gets lost after a system reboot. (Click
Here
<https://github.com/mseknibilel/OpenStack-Folsom-Install-guide/blob/master/T
ricks%26Ideas/load_volume_group_after_system_reboot.rst>  to know how to
load it after a reboot)

First, I don't know what all those commands are doing, in particular with
the dd stuff, and I'm reluctant to be doing stuff with that which I don't
understand, so if someone could explain what that's all about I'd appreciate
it. If that's how it _must_ be done, I'd like to know.

Secondly, I'm wondering if I could make life easier and not have to bother
with the extra stuff regarding making the vg come back after reboot, which
the instructions link to how to do, if I were to simply do the cinder vg
with the installer & install Ubuntu with 100GB (out of 1000GB) of the disk
made available to the guided LVM partitioning during the initial install,
and use the rest as a cinder-volumes vgcreate'd group that gets mounted
normally at each boot like everything else does.

Wouldn't that work? Seems easier to me.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Chris