Re: Import professional translations

Hi,

I completed the import. Messages' translations of Nova, Glance, Keystone,
Quantum and Cinder for 9 languages (de, es, fr, it, ja, ko, pt_BR, zh_CN,
zh_TW)
have been imported.

Now the completion rates of these 9 languages are:
Nova - 91%
Cinder - 93%
Keystone - 89%
Quantum - 90%
Glance - 76%

During this work, I found 1 issue that needs developers to pay attention
to.
Sometimes when developers define a message containing a string type
variable,
e.g. "The service from servicegroup driver %(driver) is temporarily
unavailable."
They may forget to add the conversion specifier 's' after the variable.
Transifex (or GNU gettext utilities) will regard "%(driver) i" as a whole
expression.
The character 'i' is the conversion specifier.
It will cause an error during translating
"Error: The expression '%(driver) i' is not present in the translation."
and the translation cannot be saved.
Please pay attention to it during the code development.

I have reported 3 bugs in code which are found during this work.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1183733
https://bugs.launchpad.net/quantum/+bug/1183734
https://bugs.launchpad.net/cinder/+bug/1183736
Please verify and fix them.

Thanks and regards
Ying Chun Guo (Daisy)

Ying Chun Guo/China/IBM wrote on 2013/05/15 17:01:10:

> Ying Chun Guo/China/IBM
> 2013/05/15 17:01

> openstack-translation@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
>
> cc
>
> Subject
>
> Import professional translations
>
> Hi,
>
> My company, IBM, has finished the translation of messages in Nova,
> Glance, Keystone, Quantum and Cinder
> to 9 languages (de, es, fr, it, ja, ko, pt_BR, zh_CN, zh_TW) for
> Grizzly, by outsourcing to professional
> translators. We tend to contribute these translations to community.
>
> Some volunteers have done part of the translations in Transifex. The
> average completion percentage among all
> these 9 languages is below 20%. If we can merge these professional
> translations into Transifex, we can improve
> the completion percentage to a very high number.
>
> In my mind, there are several ways to import professional
> translation to Transifex:
>
> 1. Merge the professional version of po files and community version,
> using the professional version when conflicting.
> 2. Merge the community version of po files and professional version,
> using the community version when conflicting.
> 3. Import the professional translations as translation memory, thus
> the professional translations will appear
> as "suggestion" while volunteers do the translation in Transifex.
>
> I prefer the first one, because it can improve the percentage of
> translation completion very quickly,
> while the third one needs some time for volunteers to review the
> strings one by one. What's more, the quality of
> professional version should be better.
>
> I'm going to start this work. If you have any different opinions,
> please let me know.
>
> Regards
> Ying Chun Guo (Daisy)

Follow ups