Re: VM disk affinity during live migration

Thanks. This approach looks promising.

From: Alex Glikson [mailto:GLIKSON@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2013 2:18 AM
To: openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Openstack] VM disk affinity during live migration

Right. A slightly different approach (requiring admin effort) would be to
define two host aggregates -- one reporting SSD as one of the capabilities
of its hosts, and another one reporting SAS. Then the admin can attach the
corresponding capability as a an extra spec of an instance flavor, and use
Filter Scheduler with AggregateInstanceExtraSpecsFilter to make sure
instances would not be placed on a hosts which belong to a wrong aggregate.
All this can be done already (see
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/host-aggrega
tes.html). The missing piece (which is, I believe, going to be resolved in
Havana) would be to prevent admin from live-migrating an instance to a wrong
location manually (but this wouldn't be an issue if the admin live-migrates
without explicitly specifying destination, as Jay pointed out).

Regards,
Alex