openupgrade-drivers team mailing list archive

OpenUpgrade analysis refactoring

Hi,

just to let you know that we are currently working on a refactoring of the way that the OpenUpgrade analysis of the database layout is created. This was discussed with us by Credativ at the community days.

The current way of logging database layout representations to the server log and processing the log manually will be replaced by filling an ORM table and a set of wizards to create a suitable representation of database fields and XML IDs. Another wizard allows the developer to connect to an older release branch of the OpenUpgrade server to compare database layouts. The changes per module can then directly be written to the module directory in the appropriate migrations/<version> sub directory.

The vision behind this, for which I will have to credit Credativ, is not only to have easy access to the changes in the database per module (the analysis files will simply be distributed with the addons distribution) but also to move towards a buildbot setup to keep track of changes in trunk. For now, I am concentrating on the former objective.

Current status of this development:

The 6.1 version is ready for testing (but this is rather void as no older version is ready to communicate with) See https://code.launchpad.net/~therp-nl/openupgrade-server/6.1-use_orm. To work with it, install the module 'openupgrade_records' that now comes with it.

- The changes still need to be backported to 6.0 and 5.0 versions (6.0 is only a couple of days behind). - There should be some work left in reporting on missing modules and a change in module dependencies.
- The documentation needs to be updated to reflect these changes.

I should be able to continue working on this in the coming weeks but it is not my top priority.

Sorry to confront you with nearly finished developments, in the best OpenERP traditions ;-) I had missed that this team is slowly gathering a wider audience.

Cheers,
Stefan.

--
Therp - Maatwerk in open ontwikkeling

Stefan Rijnhart - Ontwerp en implementatie

mail: stefan@xxxxxxxx
tel: +31 (0) 614478606
http://therp.nl
https://twitter.com/therp_stefan