openupgrade-drivers team mailing list archive

[Question #209721]: Instructions and step-by-step commands for doing the upgrade from 6.0 to 6.1 (How to)

New question #209721 on OpenUpgrade Server:
https://answers.launchpad.net/openupgrade-server/+question/209721

Instructions and step-by-step commands for doing the upgrade from 6.0 to 6.1 (How to).  This was actually tested with a 6.0.3 to a 6.1.latest.

I am just posting this as information for others.  For testing the upgrade, I have completely a separate server running which is a copy of a 6.0 installation.  This permits me to run the 6.0 installation for whatever reason, even for example to import a 6.0 database, then run the 6.1 upgrade and also run 6.1 just to get a backup of the upgraded data to import into a complete 6.1 server.

Import the 6.0 OpenERP database using the GTK GUI or web GUI, then stop the 6.0 server.
sudo /etc/init.d/openerp-web stop
sudo /etc/init.d/openerp-server stop

Get OpenUpgrade.
sudo apt-get install bzr
bzr branch lp:openupgrade-server
bzr branch lp:openupgrade-addons

sudo mv openupgrade-server /opt/
sudo mv openupgrade-addons /opt/

Install werkzeug so that new 6.1 server can run (optional).
sudo apt-get install python-pip
sudo pip install werkzeug

Connect as openerp.
sudo su - openerp -s /bin/bash

Run the OpenUpgrade 6.1 upgrade, note that the 6.0 configuration file does not need to be changed,
all the new required parameters are in the command line.
/opt/openupgrade-server/openerp-server --config="/etc/openerp-server.conf" \
    --addons-path="/opt/openupgrade-addons" -d OpenUpgradeTestDB -u all

Read the log and correct the errors in either the original 6.0 database and repeat with a new backup
or correct in the current database. Use your favorite editor. In a separate window with a sudo user.
sudo nano /var/log/openerp/openerp-server.log

Temporarily changed OpenERP Master Password to a random string because there will be no encryption
sudo nano /etc/openerp-server.conf

Run OpenUpgrade 6.1 just so that we can connect using the GTK to download the newly upgraded 6.1 database
Use the window with the openerp user.
sudo su - openerp -s /bin/bash
/opt/openupgrade-server/openerp-server --config="/etc/openerp-server.conf" \
    --addons-path="/opt/openupgrade-addons"

Connect to the OpenERP OpenUpgrade 6.1 server and export the newly upgraded 6.1 OpenERP DB.

If redoing the procedure to correct error, just restart old server to re-import DB
sudo /etc/init.d/openerp-server start
sudo /etc/init.d/openerp-web start

Feel free to add comments or more details! Thanks for everyone's help and contributions!

OpenUpgrade Drivers, which is an answer contact for OpenUpgrade Server.