openupgrade-drivers team mailing list archive

Re: Suggestion, Idea for OpenerUpgrade project

Hi David,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the architecture that you suggest seems to
be inherently incompatible with OpenUpgrade. OpenUpgrade uses the
migration mechanisms already built in to OpenERP. This is working well,
and personally I don't see a reason to abandon this. You are right in
saying that OpenUpgrade is not very 'usable': it is meant as a tool for
technical people to perform a technical operation. At the same time, its
architecture is optimized for these technical people to help them create
the necessary migration scripts for each release. This is working fine:
we have seen some good technical people who, after overcoming the
initial learning curve, contribute new scripts quite prolifically.

Having that said, an implementation of your idea would be valuable, but
it would simply be different way of migrating OpenERP databases than
OpenUpgrade. That is why you might want to post this on the broader
community list instead.

In any case, have a look at the Anybox migration tool:
https://bitbucket.org/anybox/anybox.migration.openerp. This is a tool
that works much like the way you describe, except for the integration of
a graphical interface. This tool is already used, apart from database
migrations to a later release, for other transformations such as zipping
multiple databases into a single multicompany database. I find the same
versatility in your design, so that would be another reason to see if
you can tag onto that project.

Cheers,
Stefan.

--
Therp - Maatwerk in open ontwikkeling

Stefan Rijnhart - Ontwerp en implementatie

mail: stefan@xxxxxxxx
tel: +31 (0) 614478606
http://therp.nl
https://twitter.com/therp_stefan