openupgrade-drivers team mailing list archive

Re: Suggestion, Idea for OpenerUpgrade project

Hi David,

*Sylvain LE GAL*

* Service informatiqueGroupement Régional Alimentaire de Proximité*
3 Grande rue des feuillants 69001 Lyon
*Bureau : *(+33) 09.72.32.33.17
*Astreinte :* (+33) 06.81.85.61.43
*Site Web** : *www.grap.coop
* Twitter : *@legalsylvain* <https://twitter.com/legalsylvain>*

> *Regarded Contributers*
>
>  im still in the erly iterations of the hermeneutic cycle (it's not a
> curve, it's cycles!), but once I will have reached the level, you can be
> sure, I will remember the laws of reciprocity and make myself contributer
> to the openupgrate project.
>
> This being said, you have an rough idea about where I am in the life cycle:
> As a very curious person, I'm constantly exploring almost every aspect,
> with an open mind and no conventions already marked into my brain. So the
> following might be sensible or not to you, but I wanted to ask you to give
> it a short assessment.
>
> About Pentaho Kettle, I read *here*
> <http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/EAI/Pentaho+Data+Integration+(Kettle)+Tutorial> that
> it has a* graphical tool for ETL* and can be used to update a database.
> This sounds for me like a hot canditate for OpenUpgrade, especially to
> improve usability and stuff (and probably to beat OpenERP SA in it's
> "profesionalism" and conquest back the leadership of the community in the
> lost domain of upgrading, something that to zikzakmedia, nantic, etc. would
> probably please..:).

I'll talk for my own. For me, the aims of openupgrade are not to "beat
OpenERP SA". The aims are :
- Provide a tools for people that use Standard OpenERP and can not buy
support sold by OpenERP SA;
- Help developpers who use custom modules to realize migration;

> So let mi depcit a vision, and let's see, if you might share:
>
> I imagine a VM (probably even using vagrant boxes or docker) that has a
> ready configured data migration server, where you can easily manipulate ETL
> and stuff *with a kind of integration of pantaho kettle and
> OpenUpgrade-logic*, maintained and alimented with best practices from
> github, making it easy easy easy to set up and share migration pipelines
> for modules.
>
> i don't know Pantaho at all, but when I read samples (
http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/EAI/03.+Hello+World+Example) I don't see
how this tool can work with actual OpenUpgrade project.
-> Pentaho seems to be a tools that realizes migrations by file
manipulations;
-> OpenUpgrade is a tools that realizes migrations using OpenERP Core
functions (all the framework);

Maybe you can take a look on this project, that seems to be more close to
Pantaho :
https://bitbucket.org/anybox/anybox.migration.openerp#rst-header-internals