oqgraph-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Subscribed - recap to date

Hi Andrew

> once you guys make a branch with v3 oqgraph merged, with the "sql.h"
> errors fixed

Antony, can you make that happen for us this week?

> I will have a look at making it work for Boost >= 1.40 and fixing
> any build warnings that are a problem.

That'd be awesome.
Perhaps we can even "backport" the fixes, thus sorting out the build problems for the current MariaDB 5.5 stuff.

> I don't expect any major difficulties making it forward compatible
> (famous last words ...) Until I have a look at the code and what it
> does with the Boost graphing API I don't know if it will be possible
> to make it work with older boost graph lib.

It might be handy if we were to inventorise which Boost version each build platform has, and put that in a table so we can just keep it in mind. (i.e. RHEL5, RHEL6, Ubuntu 11.10, and so on). Whatever platforms MariaDB gets built for.

> An alternative solution might be to bundle the bits of boost we need
> as a "module" inside oqgraph. That way we wouldn't be reliant on having
> random library version installed on any devs computer.

Well we used to have all of Boost in the tree, but it made the MariaDB people quite unhappy as all of Boost is a huge pile of tiny files. "only the bits we need" sounds awesome, but I'm not sure the Boost include structure makes that possible - if you can do it, then that's definitely something we can show in a suggested merge.
But otherwise, probably best to just make sure that OQGRAPH builds properly with the Boost versions that are out there.

> Boost uses a BSD-like license
> (http://www.boost.org/users/license.html), does
> that make it OK to ship the files with a GPL project? I am by no means
> an expert in licenses...

Yes, "new BSD" (without advertising clause) can be included with pretty much anything including proprietary licenses.
Whether the source files are shipped with others is fairly irrelevant, the main issue with licensing is in linked binaries, whether it's allowed to link to begin with and what rights the people downstream (direct and possibly indirect) have to the sourcecode.

Anyway, the short answer is "yes", using either a BSD library (BSD licensed source files) in a GPL project is fine.

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Exec.Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com)
Australian peace of mind for your MySQL/MariaDB infrastructure.

Follow us at http://openquery.com/blog/ & http://twitter.com/openquery