oqgraph-dev team mailing list archive

Re: update on OQGRAPH engine for MariaDB 10.0

Hi Monty

> Arjen> As we discussed on Skype, it was my proposal to see us move
> from the v2 to the v3 implementation of the OQGRAPH storage engine,
> and MariaDB 10.0 provided an ideal opportunity to do so.
>
> Arjen> Antony Curtis has done a merge of his v3 OQGRAPH engine with a
> MariaDB 10.0 branch, it's at
> Arjen> https://code.launchpad.net/~atcurtis/maria/10.0-oqgraph3
> Arjen> My other volunteer, Andrew, is working on several things from
> there.
>
> Arjen> Monty: v3 uses an existing engine (generally InnoDB) for its
> actual storage - so that removes the memory, transactional,
> scalability and other issues, as well as various bugs that are just no
> longer relevant. It gives us a better position to move forward with
> the engine.
>
> Sounds good.
>
> What does a user need to do to his data when he moves from v2 to v3?

With v2, on startup you'd use a loading mechanism and possibly triggers or another mechanism to keep a graph updated. With v3 you'd have a persistent InnoDB table so you can remove the extra trickery.

In terms of the app and query logic, no necessary changes at this point provided we do the backwards compatible latch change as below.

> Arjen> We'll probably also change the latch column from an integer to
> a string. We can keep it backward compatible at least from the app
> perspective, allowing for "1" and the other values in the form of
> strings.

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Exec.Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com)
Australian peace of mind for your MySQL/MariaDB infrastructure.

Follow us at http://openquery.com/blog/ & http://twitter.com/openquery

Follow ups