oqgraph-dev team mailing list archive

OQGraphv3 for MariaDB 5.5

Hi guys!

Short intro, I'm a packager for Slackware Linux and the one who filed the boost
1.54.0 bug in MariaDB's JIRA.

I'd like to elaborate a bit on Slackware's situation and present a possible
solution (well, more like a workaround) for the boost problem. I'm CC'ing the
Mageia packager of MariaDB as this might be of interest to him too.

We are shipping MariaDB 5.5 and boost 1.54.0. As we are in the final stages of
a release, versions are not going to change in a major way here. Therefore
MariaDB 10.0 is out of the question for this release, especially since it's
not even GA yet.
Arjen indicated on IRC that fixing the boost issue for OQGraphv2 is a very low
priority right now, but also mentioned that the issue is not present in
OQGraphv3. For Slackware this means we have to disable OQGraph in the package
and users have no way of getting it other than compiling a newer MariaDB
version themselves (which brings with it a whole bunch of compatibility
issues).
Now, for quite some time already MariaDB made it possible to compile engine
plugins out of source [1]. So I was thinking a nice compromise for our users
would be if there would be an OQGraphv3 source tarball that could be compiled
against MariaDB 5.5. That way we could provide it as an addon package until
it's available with MariaDB 10.0.
What do you think about this? Is this something you could provide?

Grs,
Heinz

[1] https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/MDEV-207