oqgraph-dev team mailing list archive

OQGRAPH v3 update - maintenance

Hi all,

* I have created a maintenance branch -
https://code.launchpad.net/~andymc73/maria/oqgraph-maintenance - which I will
regularly merge to from the MariaDB trunk, to test that the code continues to
build and pass the test suite.

* I have created a mirror of the engine code directory, with full history, on
Github - https://github.com/andymc73/oqgraph.  This is actually possible
because when Maria merged us into 10.0.7 they moved the MTR tests into
storage/oqgraph/mysql-test.  The contortions I went through to achieve this
losslessly will shortly be described on my blog...

* I intend to keep the Launcpad branch synchronised with Github.  This will
ensure we are in a position to merge interesting changes back to Maria trunk
as needed.  I dont intend to do this continuously but after bug fixes, new
features, etc.

So my intention is that github will become the "bleeding edge" of development.

I have added instructions on how to build the bleeding edge of Oqgraph against
the release >= 10.0.7 MariaDB.  I also added a tag corresponding to the
version of code currently existing in lp:maria.

This will save my head exploding with frustration over the performance of
bazaar+launchpad for day to day work.

It also has multiple benefits:

* the Bazaar repository and the git equivalent of the full MariaDB tree
approaches 6GBytes(!) - the .git directory of oqgraph now is < 2 MBytes

* due to the above, I can now do some hacking if I have a spare hour, on some
random virtual machine / laptop without much delay, provided I keep a copy of
MariaDB 10.0.7 zip somewhere.

* it will help us do backports or sideways ports if the need / opportunity arises

* it may may the code more accessible to other developrs as we improve the
architcture of the existing code base (more on that in subsequent email)

As an aside, I also recently discovered that plans are afoot to host maria on
git as well: https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/MDEV-5240

cheers,
Andrew

--