ourdelta-developers team mailing list archive

5.1 patchset - tasks ahead - will you help?

Hi all,

We'll keep looking at some more 5.0 stuff, but now that the existing patches are clean and sorted, we can look at porting them to 5.1. This will involve some manual labour - not a huge amount of server- guru-foo though, common sense should guide you most of the way. If you want to tackle a patch, just branch off trunk, copy a patch across from /mysql/5.0 to /mysql/5.1, and add it to the 5.1 patch list. At this stage, feel free to pick any, we can sort out the dependencies fairly easily still.

You can, at first, just try a quilt push to see if the 5.0 patch still applies. It might fail on some files. If you use --force and/or --keep-rejects then you will be able to review what's going on. In some cases, the shortest method might just be to load up the raw patch in one window, 5.1 source file in another, and work it out manually. The way I've refreshed patches with quilt means that the @@ headers of each patch section contain the function name where the patch lines are applied, so you have that information on top of the usual +/- 3 lines context. That should help!

If you get stuck with anything, just send a message here, there's many skilled people around who might not have time right now for hacking themselves, but will certainly be happy to help things along by answering your question.

You may wonder, what about the 5.1 Percona patches. Well, a few of those are fine, however others are different from their identically named 5.0 version, or we've modified the patch in 5.0. As a practical example, the userstats patch in 5.0 is V2 from Google, while in 5.1 it's V1 which also doesn't support information_schema. You can always do a compare (also check the version in the patch_info part of the patch) to see what might be different. Or ask! I've tried to document most things I've found over the last few weeks, but some things may still just be in my head.

Oh, about information schema. In 5.1, we'll want to make any I_S addition into a plugin, that way we steer clear of the nasty parser patch conflicts that we now have in 5.0 (patch lines within eachother's context, making patches interdependent). But you don't have to worry about that either, if you can make a patch -or part of it- work in 5.1, we will sort out the I_S plugin foo a bit later.

It'd be great to get our 5.1 patchset sorted within say 3 weeks, with build time that puts us in line with the GA release of 5.1. We may also be able to do some extra work on this at the OpenSQLCamp next week.

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com.au)
Training and Expertise for MySQL in Australia and New Zealand

OurDelta: free enhanced builds for MySQL @ http://ourdelta.org