ourdelta-developers team mailing list archive

Re: MariaDB in Debian proper?

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 09:18:24PM +0100, Kristian Nielsen wrote:
> Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> I started to look into MariaDB; I was considering inclusion of MariaDB
>> in Debian proper, and to this effect was wondering:

>>  1) Does the ourdelta team judge the packaging mature enough for that
>>     inclusion, or does it need more work?

> I think it is certainly mature enough. (...)

> The main issue that needs solving is to let MySQL and MariaDB packages
> co-exist in the same repository.

So they _do_ need some more work :)

> The problem is that there are other packages that have versioned
> "depends:" on MySQL packages, eg.  libdbd-mysql-perl on
> libmysqlclient15off.

Note in passing: thinking of upload to Debian proper, that is now
libmysqlclient16.

> So it is not possible for MariaDB to satisfy this dependency with a
> "provides:", even though MariaDB does include an alternative
> libmysqlclient.so.

> What has been discussed is to solve this by introducing virtual packages for
> libmysqlclient15off and similar packages; these would then depend: on
> mysql-xxx|mariadb-xxx packages. This requires changes to MySQL packages as
> well as to MariaDB packages.

These would have to be real, but empty (dependency-only) packages, not
virtual packages.

I implicitly understand that, as far as predictable, the
libmysqlclient.so.NN from MariaDB will stay binary-compatible with the
one from MySQL.

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 09:13:59AM +0100, Kristian Nielsen wrote:
> Jonathan Aquilina <eagles051387@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> it was mentioned to give a user choice as to what to use. i have seen for
>> instance when you install gnome aside kde it asks you what desktop manager
>> you want to use. Wouldnt something like that be needed in this situation?

> Gnome and KDE are non-conflicting, you can install both at the same time.

> The situation with MariaDB and MySQL is different. MariaDB is
> essentially a different version of MySQL; the binaries are named the
> same, the libraries are named the same, it runs on the same default
> port, etc. So only one can be installed at a time.

I'm not entirely convinced; as far as *desirable* is it truly
impossible that one would wish to install both side by side,
e.g. because they have diverged in features, or for testing before
switching?

As far as *possible*:

The default port is not a problem: this is configurable, or they can
be configured to listen on different IPs. The same for the datadir,
socket, etc.

The server executables seems not to be linked against any
MySQL-specific library, so that's not a problem. Unless it maybe
dlopen()s them?

I expect the executable name, man pages, etc can rather easily be
renamed.

So, it seems *possible* to me to arrange things so that the servers
can both be installed at the same time, and with some configuration
left to the admin, running at the same time.

Only one of the *client* libraries can be installed and active and the
same time, that much seems correct.

--
Lionel