oxide team mailing list archive

Re: click-appamor 0.2 changes and webapps/oxide

On 03/12/2014 12:09 PM, David Barth wrote:
> Le 12/03/2014 17:59, Jamie Strandboge a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> Heads up, as the click frameworks discussions are coming to a close it was
>> determined that click-apparmor needed to be quite strict about what apparmor
>> policy version should be used with which framework. In the normal case, this
>> shouldn't matter to anyone other than apparmor devs. However, right now
>> click-apparmor 0.2 is likely to land before the ubuntu-sdk-14.04* frameworks are
>> available on the image. This will affect webapps/oxide in particular because
>> oxide policy only exists in apparmor policy 1.1, which is only valid for
>> ubuntu-sdk-14.04* frameworks, but ubuntu-sdk-14.04* frameworks aren't available
>> yet. I believe the webapps guys have been specifying the ubuntu-sdk-13.10
>> framework with the 1.1 policy version, which is invalid.
>>
>> As such, until the ubuntu-sdk-14.04* frameworks are available, once
>> click-apparmor 0.2 is on your systems, please adjust your click and security
>> manifests as per the instructions in the wiki[1]. If
>> /usr/share/click/frameworks/ubuntu-sdk-14.04-qml.framework does not exist yet,
>> then do:
>> $ sudo touch /usr/share/click/frameworks/ubuntu-sdk-14.04-qml.framework
>>
>> This should allow you to continue testing webapps with the new policy.
> Thanks for the heads up Jamie.
>
> This will handle the issue with new webapps, however do you know if old
> framework-13.10/policy 1.0 webapps will continue to work in the new images?

The click-apparmor change won't affect that. So long as
/usr/share/click/frameworks/ubuntu-sdk-13.10.framework exists on the image, it
will work. That doesn't quite answer your question though... (see below)

> My understanding is that even on an image with framework-14.04, we should have
> framework-13.10 (and policy 1.0) still available for 6 months or so.

Current thinking is that ubuntu-sdk-13.10 will be dropped entirely once the
ubuntu-sdk-14.04* frameworks are defined, and apps will have to be updated.
AIUI, while normally a framework wouldn't be dropped like this, Ubuntu 13.10 is
a special case since no devices ship with it and there is more benefit focusing
on making 14.04 good than diverting resource in trying to make 13.10 available
at the same time. This isn't a done deal though-- watch the ubuntu-phone mailing
list for an upcoming discussion.