oxide team mailing list archive

Planning to make ninja a hard build-time requirement

Hi,

Chad Miller noticed last week that Google have stopped supporting the
GYP makefile backend for building Chromium. Running ./build/gyp_chromium
now results in an error (see
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/build/+/9bc1c207a18ffa8284095d9350e835a4518870f6).
However, we don't use this script so makefile builds still work (sort-of).

There has been 2 makefile-specific build breakages in the last couple of
weeks that have gone unfixed - 1 of these we are now carrying a Chromium
patch for and the other one required a build config tweak to work
around. I plan to push a change shortly that makes Oxide build the
Chromium parts with GYP's ninja backend instead, which is the only
officially supported backend for building Chromium on Linux.

This means that you'll need to install the "ninja-build" package in your
build environment. If you have the "ninja" package installed, you'll
need to uninstall this as it's an unrelated tool and unfortunately
installs a binary of the same name in to /usr/sbin (which is searched
before /usr/bin).

Regards
- Chris

Follow ups