oxide team mailing list archive

Re: Oxide call notes - 3 March 2015

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 5:27 AM, Olivier Tilloy <olivier.tilloy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 6:46 PM, David Barth <david.barth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > 1. Release
> >
> > The 1.5 branch will be officially declared stable this week (in sync with
> > Blink)
> > 1.5.3 is already in vivid
> > Note: Jamie referenced a bug lifting the FFE requirement for all future
> > releases of Oxide.
> >
> > 2. Features
> >
> > Needs a review:
> >
> https://code.launchpad.net/~justinmcp/oxide/pulse-audio-role/+merge/243617
> >
> https://code.launchpad.net/~justinmcp/oxide/media-hub-audio-fixes/+merge/249927
> >
> > Cache size - discussion of the API design; further info in the bug
> report.
> > Also, letting the user control the cache size for the browser, could help
> > for people with data plans
>
> Which bug report?
> There’s https://launchpad.net/bugs/1277659 and
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/1260014, but none of them have recent
> updates.
> I’m particularly interested because that’s on my plate for the current
> 3-week sprint, so I’m aiming at landing the required changes in trunk
> in that timeframe.

I had a similar one on my plate for webapps,

https://bugs.launchpad.net/webbrowser-app/+bug/1302832

I did a little investigation for that there was no way to impose a hard
limit on anything
cache related (and not way afaik to access any kind of builtin limit
mechanism for the
non webpage resource caches),

I remember the discussion that we had about that some time ago w/ Chris
about being careful
about "low" cache limits and network/data plan usage that would surge bc of
that,

So ideally there would be an oxide mechanism to tweak some limits we have
access to (network),
on a per-use-case basis and an app one that would allow one to wipe app
cache (whatever the
scheme is),