oxide team mailing list archive

Oxide call notes - 10 May 2016

*1. Releases*

   - 1.15 still in dev. mode; build problem solved for Xenial / Trusty
   (QOpenGL symbol issue); 1.15.2 going into silo for testing; Xenial build
   must not land as it currently has a desktop regression related to Flash
   content
   - 1.16 - still open for development, see below

*2. Features & Bug fixes*

   - Media Hub arbitration branch : Jim to do a full review for Justin &
   Santosh to work on (the MH side of things, not talking of the Oxide side)
   - Pointer Lock API

*3. Misc*

MH integration update. For reference again, and in priority order

   1. Integrate the MH arbitration branch inside the MH project (Jim) ; aim
   for OTA-12 as a landing target
   2. Audio background playback ; it is representing a significant
   maintenance overhead; we're looking for an implementation change to have
   this fit more nicely with the upstream blink media stack changes, and lower
   the maintenance overhead
   3. HW codec support : this is the longer term plan, but requires that we
   clarify the touch points for the Oxide media stack to be able to call the
   drivers; we understand that there are precisely arbitration aspects
   required to access the codecs properly and/or avoid crashing that stack; we
   suppose that the MH arbitration work item above will help us get a clearer
   picture; as will the 2nd background playback overhaul

Last, to restate it clearly : we do not consider that the Media Hub Engine
API or current architecture will be fit for the requirements of the Web
multimedia APIs.

We are talking about Web APIs able to mix video frames onto WebGL textures
and shaders, coupled with CSS transforms, with the very video frames being
generated or modified in real-time by JS code or shaders themselves.

That is why we aim to get the arbitration right, as we expect that the
Oxide media stack and the MH/system media stack will have to co-exist for
the foreseeable future. And, again, that this will help us design a better
integration.