p2psp team mailing list archive

Re: NAT Traversal Set of rules implementation

Hi Vicente,

On 03.07.2015 09:19, Vicente Gonzalez wrote:
> If I did not understand bad your question, you want to run a source in
> the same host that the splitter. I have done this several times. You
> should not have any difficulty. For example, in the script
> "tools/create_a_team.sh", the default source (Icecast) is running at
> localhost:8080.
Exactly. It would be great having a local source server (on the host or
on a virtual machine), to not strain your public server and have a
reliable source (on the university's network the connection frequently
drops, which alters test results).
Do you just need the VLC command, or do you have to run Icecast as well?

>     An unrelated question: To determine the address to listen on, in
>     Peer_IMS the public IP address is gathered by this code [1]:
>
>         s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
>         s.connect(("gmail.com <http://gmail.com>",80))
>         #my_ip = socket.gethostbyname(socket.gethostname())
>         my_ip = s.getsockname()[0]
>         s.close()
>
>     However it might not be possible (e.g. in a virtual machine setup
>     where the peers don't have a direct connection to the internet) or
>     desired for the peer to send packets to gmail.com
>     <http://gmail.com>. Would it be possible to do the same technique
>     but connect to the splitter IP address instead, as it has to be
>     reachable from the peers anyway?
>

> Sure. Go ahead.
Thanks for merging. :-)

Now I added documentation to the nts_doc branch, it can be found in the
repo [1], [2].
Also I created a wiki page where I can keep progress and todos as they
show up, to not forget planned tasks, see [3].

Have a nice weekend,
Max

[1] https://github.com/jellysheep/p2psp/blob/nts_doc/doc/NAT_traversal.md
[2] https://github.com/jellysheep/p2psp/blob/nts_doc/doc/NAT_test_details.md
[3]
https://github.com/jellysheep/p2psp/wiki/GSoC-2015:-NAT-traversal-using-UDP-hole-punching---Timeline

PS:
> I usually use Xfig (http://www.xfig.org/). It a prehistory program,
> but it works. For generating SVG files, "natively", I have used also
> Inkscape (https://inkscape.org). This one has more functionalities.
> BTW, which is the objective of SphereSim?
Thanks for the hint. Looks really ancient. :-) Inkscape is a great software.
SphereSim is a project around live molecular dynamics and gravity
simulations. An enhanced version is in development where several servers
can be connected over a local network, to combine computation power. P2P
connections over internet are planned as well, though low latency is
crucial for live simulations.