packaging-training-coordinators team mailing list archive

Re: UDS Session: Improving Packaging Training

Sorry for not replying earlier. My inbox and TODO list were a mess and
are very slowly getting better. :-)

CCing Packaging Training team again.

Nathan Handler schrieb:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Daniel Holbach
> <daniel.holbach@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> = Improving Packaging Training =
>> == Existing Initiatives ==
>>
>>  * Packaging Training IRC Sessions
>>  * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Packaging/Training
>>  * TODO: Find documentation for screenbin and refer to it
>>    * Dustin Post on the topic:
>> http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2009/04/teaching-class-with-gnu-screen.html
>
> BodhiZazen also wrote up a blog post explaining how to create a shared
> screen session:
> http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/shared-ssh-sessions-update-for-jaunty-ubuntu-904/

Nice. It's not exactly helpful for logs, but maybe we should document it
(or link to it) on Packaging/Training.

>>  * TODO: Nominate somebody in the audience to summary(?)
>
> This might prove to be difficult for some of the less popular
> sessions. Maybe we could nominate someone from the Packaging Training
> Coordinators team to take care of the summary each week.

That might work, although I could imagine that it puts too much strain
on us.

>>  * TODO: Make necessary preparation more public.
>
> I agree. We currently list the necessary preparations on the wiki page
> for the training session. These preparations should be included in all
> blog posts and emails that we send out about the session. I also think
> that we should talk to the people who run #ubuntu-classroom about
> including a link to the session wiki in the channel topic. We can use
> an URL shortening service to not take up as much space if necessary.

Sounds good. First of all we should put it on the prepared log wiki
page. From there it's easy enough to copy it into all the other
announces (be it blog, forum, mail, etc.).

>>  * TODO: More announces (loco-contacts@, sticky on the forums)
>
> I do not think that sending an email to loco-contacts about each
> session would be appropriate. It might be for some sessions, but not
> for all of them. One list that we should make an effort to email is
> the ubuntu-motu-mentors list. We could also send an email to
> ubuntu-motu.
>
>>  * MOTU Mentoring
>>  * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Mentoring
>>  * ubuntu-motu-mentors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sounds like a good idea!

> Back in April, Christophe sent our a request
> (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2009-April/028198.html)
> for more developers to volunteer to serve as mentors in the program. I
> think we should make a stronger effort to encourage developers
> (especially those who participated in the mentoring program as a
> mentee) to serve as mentors.

Sure. The more people we get involved there the better.

>>  * IRC Channels
>>  * #ubuntu-motu (very helpful, "easy questions" are welcome)
>>  * #ubuntu-devel
>>
>>  * Wiki documentation
>>  * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide
>>   * TODO: Example packages(!) and show simple <----> more advanced
>>     * find good example packages for various types from the archive
>> that show current best practices:
>>       - examples of different types: "normal", python, java, library, etc
>
> We already have a small list of packages of different types in the
> packaging guide
> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Complete#Reference%20Packages).
> However, we should encourage developers to try and update the list. We
> can also try and contact the various Debian teams that deal with those
> different areas. They should be able to help us come up with good
> example packages.

Yeah, that'd be nice. Maybe we just need a new call for "add your
favourite package there".

>>  * TODO: Link into https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Learning/DeveloperTopics
>> make sure the work is shared.
>>   * Utilise Moodle Server: http://learn.ufbt.net/
>>  * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment
>
> I am active on the Ubuntu Beginners Team, which is where the Ubuntu
> Community Learning Project came from. The team is still getting
> organized and setup. They have stated that they are going to make a
> strong effort to utilize already existing documentation. I can help
> ensure that all of our developer documentation enters the Moodle site.
> Once the team gets going, we can think about other ways that we would
> like to interact with them.

Sure. They have taken on a huge task, I hope they get to the point where
it's easy for us to collaborate.

>>   * TODO: explain about language packs
>>  * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Recipes
>
>>   * TODO: Unify Bazaar packaging guides
>>    * Desktop team has a separate one
> Some of the Bazaar guides on the wiki that I found were:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DistributedDevelopment/Documentation
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BzrMaintainerHowto
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BzrContributorHowto
> We also have James' bzr builddeb guide:
> http://jameswestby.net/bzr/builddeb/user_manual/

We should talk to James about it. I'll add it as a TODO item for myself

>>   * TODO: Add docs for translation bits (related to packaging)
>>    * general documentation, including specific bits for Ubuntu (e.g.
>> language packs)
>>    * Especially KDE/Qt i18n documentation and learning material related
>> to packaging is needed
>>    * It is important that this is also featured in the MOTU learning
>> material
>
> This documentation would be nice to have. We have
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TranslatingUbuntu/, which links to several
> useful pages, but I think we could do much more to document
> translations.

I'll talk to David Planella about it. At least a nice draft that is
findable would be a good start.

Moved it to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Jams. :-)

>>  * MOTU Videos
>>  * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Videos
>>  * TODO: syncs and merges, working with a patch system, lintian,
>> "welcome to the team"
>>  * TODO: translated videos(!)
>
> The videos are nice, but I personally would prefer to have more video
> interviews with developers. I think documentation on the wiki works
> much better. It also allows for copying and pasting of text and links,
> and allows other people to easily link to sections of it.

I personally prefer written documentation too. The feedback on the
videos was overwhelmingly positive though and might have got a lot of
people involved.

What I think would be great would be a workflow like this (for any kind
of topic):

 - set up a quick recipe (PackagingGuide/Recipes)
 - hold a packaging training session (you'll figure out mistakes and FAQ
   quickly)
 - do a quick screencast with recordmydesktop-gtk or something

Done. :-)

>>  * Ubuntu Developer Week
>>  * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDeveloperWeek
>>  (* Ubuntu Open Week too)
>
> We had a nice turnout for these events. We should try and come up with
> ways to involve people who, due to the time zones, are not able to
> participate much. Maybe we could have each day be designed for a
> certain section of the world. For instance, Monday could be at a time
> convenient for people in the US, Tuesday for people in Europe,
> Wednesday for people in East Asia/Australia, etc. It might prove a
> little confusing at first, but if we do a good job of publicizing the
> schedule, it could work.

The problem I see with that is that we have a bit less participation
from Australasia and that it might be hard to set that up.

>> == New Initiatives ==
>>  * Ubuntu Learning - Learning Materials and Lesson Plans (+How to Teach)
>>  * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Learning
>>  * Translation of resources:
>>  * Documentation
>>  * Video (http://www.cesarius.net/video-como-formar-parte-de-ubuntu-motu/).
>>
>>  * "MOTU Journal"
>>  * TODO: Try to get people to blog about what they are doing
>
> Maybe we should update some of the documentation about becoming a MOTU
> to tell them to keep a journal. I think if we were to add it to the
> MOTU application template that we use, it would cause a lot more
> people to start keeping them.

What kind of documentation are you thinking about?

>>  * Translations documentation
>>  * TODO: Ask developers to add themselves to a list of "developers that
>> speak language <X>"
>>    * Can do this with wiki templates similar to wikipedia. This way a
>> contributor who feels comfortable in language <X> has someone they can
>> send a question to in language <X> who has also indicated they want to
>> receive such questions.
>>  * TODO: #ubuntu-devel-towerofbabel
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to have them go to developers in their
> LoCo (or a nearby LoCo)?

Efrain's idea was to have an IRC channel where all developers hang out,
but where it's OK to ask a quick question in some other language too.
Not sure if it'd work great.

Thanks a lot for your input!

Have a great day,
 Daniel