Re: New to the team!

Hi Kate,

Thanks a lot for volunteering to help out :)

In answer to each of your questions:

   1. For issue relating to Gnome applications such as Nautilus, design
   decisions are made by the upstream developers, who can be contacted either
   on their mailing
list<https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/nautilus-list> or
   in their IRC channel (#nautilus at irc.gnome.org). This is true for all
   software packages in Ubuntu - the upstream developer will make the design
   decisions. If you ever need help figuring out who to contact, then just
   drop us an email here or in #ubuntu-desktop on Freenode IRC, where we hang
   out.
   2. Except in exceptional circumstances, all patches should be submitted
   upstream. In the case of Nautilus, that means getting the source code from
   the Gnome repository <http://git.gnome.org/browse/nautilus/>, developing
   and committing your patch their, exporting it to a *.patch file, which is a
   feature their version control system offers, and attaching it to
   the relevant bug report.

As for keeping track of who's working on what, I think assigning bugs on
upstream bug trackers to yourself is an action reserved
for privileged users. I would suggest reaching out to the developers on the
relevant communication channel and taking 5 or ten minutes to talk to them
about the bug before you start - there may be a reason it's not fixed. If
they're cool with you working on it, then you can ask them to assign it to
you.

Thanks again for volunteering to help out here. If you ever have any
questions, then please don't hesitate to ask them here.

Chris