New to the team!

Hi all!

I'm dipping my toe into contributing to the development of Ubuntu. I read
that this was the best team to join for interested developers, so here I am!

It's a bit overwhelming for someone new to OSS development, so I have a few
questions. Per a previous email, I'm trying to pick out a bug to fix in
Nautilus from this list <https://launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/raring>.
However, upon reading through some of these, it appears that:

   1. A lot of these require some sort of design decision to be made. E.g.:
   Here's a bug<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/48671>
where
   the user is requesting for the ability to rename a file by clicking on the
   name 2x. Who makes that decision?
   2. How does the whole upstream process work? Do we write a patch and
   then submit it to the corresponding project? Since I'm going off of
   Ubuntu's bug tracker, how do I know I'm not working on something that
   someone else upstream is working on?

Other than that, go team papercuts! :)

- Kate

Follow ups