Meetings

Hey all,

In the meeting on Tuesday a really good point was made about the meetings
we're trying to have.

It's apparent now that weekly meetings aren't very appropriate for a team
of volunteers in a variety of time zones, so instead of meetings, we're
instead going have pre-determined periods of time where at least one active
papercutter can be contacted via IRC.

For example, let's say we told people that we could be found in IRC every
Tuesday between 6pm and 10pm UTC and are completely open to being
contacted. This means that anyone who wants to get in touch with us will
know where and when to find us if they want to be able to talk to us in
real time, which is what I was originally hoping to use the meetings for.

During these periods, we also have the opportunity to meet up and make
decisions on whatever issue we would normally stick on a meeting agenda.
The end result would be the same as if we had the meeting - people can talk
to us and decisions can get made - only it's a much less formal
environment. The act of making a decision on the direction of the project
will not be restricted to these work periods, as it was to the meetings,
and any ideas discussed will be brought before the rest of the team on the
mailing list before being enacted.

We don't have to have just one of these periods either. We could have
people running them in different time zones, making them accessible to
people who would not normally be able to attend a meeting held in the UTC
timezone.

The example of Tuesday I gave above is the one I'm going to man every week,
and anyone else is welcome to join me. During this time, I'll be focusing
on paper cut stuff so it's a great opportunity to work together in real
time.

If anyone would prefer to run their own work period, then that's totally
fine. The best time to be doing this should be the one that is easiest for
you, so that you'll be more productive. It doesn't have to be as long as
the one I'm doing. If you only have an hour a week to give then that's
fine. Pick a time that suits you, and we'll just make sure we keep up to
date with what we're all doing with Launchpad and this mailing list.

What do people think about this idea?

Chris