Re: Paper Cuts in 13.10

I got interested in Ubuntu development (I should say bugfixing) less than a
week ago, and I joined the team a few days ago. So, I am a complete newbie.
As such, I think a big problem it's the feeling of being overwhelmed. I had
to learn at least the basics debian/ubuntu packaging, Baazar, Launchpad,
Bug reporting, patches, upstream/downstrem, etc.

I followed the Ubuntu Packaging Guide, which does not a bad job of guiding
you through the steps, but the material is large, and naturally a lot of
different questions and doubt arises, and the material in which you could
find the answers is, in my opinion, not well organized. I've found myself
using google a lot, while I think it should be a natural flow from a main
"documentation index" to various pieces of documentation that can lead you
and "show you around", introducing the different bricks separately, but in
a common context.

Another thing I think it's important it's the community: where is the
community in reading thousands of line of documentation, searching online
for answers, or having a reply on a comment you made on a bug on launchpad
(maybe with months of delay..). No, I think the community should be active,
fuzzy and immediate, and I that prospect I really think we should 'push'
IRC. But really push it, like the first two lines of every documentation
page aimed at newbies should be: "Fell overwhelmed? Come talk to us on IRC,
channel <#channel>!" with a link to a guide for those who don't know IRC.
On IRC:
 - You are surrounded by people like you and more expert than you, which
makes you think: "Oh, good, I'm not the only idiot newbie here!" and "Oh,
good, there is someone who knows something here!"
 - Specific question can be answered without having to find it at line 540,
between parenthesis, of a man page of a software you didn't know you
weren't using, that you found out reading a 2007 mail exchange in a
mailing-list archive (that kinda happened)
 - You can be directed to the right piece of documentation: not RTFS-style,
but if someone is lost in the immense world of references, docs and
manpages, a good samaritan can point him/her in the right direction
 - Everybody likes hanging out with cool and fun people. (I've no doubt we
all are)
And avoid hundreds of overly specific, unpopulated channels. A new user
who's thinking about contribuiting wants to find himself in a welcoming
sparkling community (Ubuntu?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(philosophy)), not in a cemetery with
10 lines of chat a week. So, a general-purpose channel for everyone who
helps, be it designer, translator, a curious passing by, artist, people who
just file bugs etc.. #i-wanna-help-ubuntu

All this i think is appealing to new, non expert users, maybe a bit less to
more experienced ones, for which I think the reward idea is good. It's not
about the 'tangible reward', it's about being reckoned and thanked for your
voluntary work: nobody likes to spend hours fixing a bug which affects 3
people in the world and that nobody know you've fixed. On this matter, I
think a "thanks" system as the one on XDA is a good think.

TL;DR:
A possible recipe
 - Well organized documentation
 - IRC as main vector of active *community* (#I-wanna-help-ubuntu)
 - Assure people are reckoned and thanked for their work.

Sorry for the long post and for my english.