phatch-dev team mailing list archive

request for feedback: translating variables?

Hi,

Right now we let people translate variables as for example <filename>,
but this gives troubles as variable names can't have spaces inside
them. There are two solutions:
1) translate the variables but replace spaces by underscores, for
example <nom_du_fichier>
2) keep variables in english just like any programming language is
also not translated

Option 2 feels the most clean to me as option 1 is a hack. Maybe some
languages will add for example ' which is also not allowed in
variables. When I gave a workshop on LGM, I noticed Phatch is broken
in many languages because of this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/phatch/+bug/566124

I'd like to get your feedback, otherwise I go with option 2.

Best regards,

Stani

--
Phatch Photo Batch Processor - http://photobatch.stani.be