phatch-dev team mailing list archive

Re: request for feedback: translating variables?

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 1:56 PM, Stani <spe.stani.be@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Right now we let people translate variables as for example <filename>,
> but this gives troubles as variable names can't have spaces inside
> them. There are two solutions:
> 1) translate the variables but replace spaces by underscores, for
> example <nom_du_fichier>
> 2) keep variables in english just like any programming language is
> also not translated
>
> Option 2 feels the most clean to me as option 1 is a hack. Maybe some
> languages will add for example ' which is also not allowed in
> variables. When I gave a workshop on LGM, I noticed Phatch is broken
> in many languages because of this:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/phatch/+bug/566124
>
> I'd like to get your feedback, otherwise I go with option 2.

I really prefer the second option too. I can think of a lot of possible
issues in the first option. For example in languages that are written from
right to left (like Arabic) things can get confusing. Also what about Exif
variables?

Best regards,
Nadia