puredyne-team team mailing list archive

Re: eee carrot+coriander install crash

2009/11/29 Aymeric Mansoux <aymeric@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Dan S said :
>> Hi -
>>
>> I was simply running the live USB until now ('official' ISOs or brothy
>> homebrew, installed using unetbootin) on my eee701 with no problems.
>> Today I tried installing, got a crash at the 90% "Checking for
>> packages to remove..." stage. More crash details here:
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/489645>
>>
>> Has been discussed on IRC, thought it worth adding that I've got a
>> consistent crash now - the crash reported above was from my homebrew,
>> but I've now installed from the craftivism DVD ISO (with md5 checked
>> fine) and that gives me a crash with exactly the same stack trace. So
>> that says to me that it can't be anything to do with my local broth
>> building, and it's unlikely to be an IO glitch since it's so
>> consistent. It could perhaps be my bigmachine's unetbootin or
>> syslinux? Or sth to do with the Eee.
>>
>> I originally tried standard partitioning, also tried manual choosing
>> ext3, no help. Others have installed fine on virtualbox or on some
>> other real objects. I can't factor out unetbootin/syslinux, since I
>> don't have an optical drive on the eee. Is anyone else able to test on
>> an eee or similar? Or any crafty ideas?
>
> I think rob has an Eee 701 too...
>
> I'm a bit clueless about this issue... the only thing that I can say,
> and I can't imagine how that would affect it... would be to try from a
> USB key made using make-usb-key.sh ... (you need the syslinux package
> from our PPA, the one in Ubuntu is too old). The script is bundled with
> Puredyne's ISO in /usr/sbin if I remember correctly, or get it from
> the bouilloncube bzr branch.

OK I've now grabbed the p:d syslinux and taken the make-usb-key.sh
approach (craftivism dvd iso, also homebrew), and I get exactly the
same crash again.

So it happens for me with all combinations: homebrew-or-craftivism,
unetbootin or make-usb-key.

> If there is a problem with packages, maybe you could look at the output
> of:
>
> dpkg --get-selections | grep '[[:space:]]install$'| awk '{print $1}' | less
>
> And check if everything look normal?...

Wow, what a great list of lovely software. Yes, looks normal.

> Other random thought: you don't have any peristent partition on your Eee
> that could confuse everything?...

No.

> /me running out of ideas...

me too, bleh, been installing all day...

Dan