pyroom-team team mailing list archive

Re: PyRoom @ FOSDEM 2009 ?

> Hello Pyroomers,

Hi all,

> FOSDEM published a call for lightning talks. Lightning talks are very
> short talk (15minutes) where you can present small/new projects/ideas to
> the crowd.

Sorry Lionel for the delayed answer, I wanted to be sure I was about
to make it to FOSDEM.
I'm actually planning a trip to Brussels for FOSDEM, and currently
trying to organise myself.

> Maybe it could be a good opportunity to spread PyRoom love ?

Yes, that would be great, but I'm seeing a couple of issues, here.

I've been at the beginning of the project, but I must say that my
involvement in it has decayed a lot, and I haven't touch code for ages
now. I'm still amazed by the tremendous work made by Florian (tiax),
and this project wouldn't be as advanced as it is without him. He's
the one who should go on stage and make a talk about this project he
has pushed forward for several months, now.
Unfortunately, he told me on IRC he wouldn't be able to make it to Brussels.

I don't know if any other member of the Team comes to FOSDEM next
february, and I'd be delighted to meet some of us there.

On the other hand, it could be perfectly possible for me to work out a
talk about pyroom, and I'd be glad to do it. I'm just wondering if I'm
qualified enough to talk about this project as an ex-developer.
The talk could be focused on:

* Why this project? (aka. Writeroom is closed-source, 24.95 USD and
just for the Mac)
* Why this project, again? (aka. why yet another text editor, Why not
just a gedit plugin, Why not vim)
* Why Python?
* Why Launchpad?
* Who can use it? For what? What's the benefit?
* What's next? What's left to be done?

Any other suggestions are warmly welcome. It can even be discussed on
this list...

--
Bruno Bord
http://jehaisleprintemps.net/