Re: Suggestions for the interface

Hello again,

First of all: Thanks for the translation update. Will merge that into
trunk soon.

On 30.04.2012 19:33, Andi Șerbănescu wrote:
> On 30 April 2012 17:12, Adam Reichold <adamreichold@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote: I started some work on the per-page scaling in the
> non-continuous modes and the tool bars in the "future" branch which
> will hopefully become version 0.2.3. I don't plan to add any
> features in that release but to focus on the code.
>
>> Good luck, then. I had a few remarks, but I'll keep them for when
>> 0.2.3 is out.

I hope you did not understand me wrong: I will focus on the code size,
but I also consider polishing up the interface "not adding features".
What I meant is that I will not introduce new features like new views
or very different behaviour.

So I am very interested in those remarks as I planned to work the
result of this discussion into that branch. And as I said, the tool
bars should already be a little smaller there. :-)

>> However, I've recently checked out okular and saw that in
>> continuous mode with fit width/page enabled, it scales each page
>> individually up to the largest allowable width/height, so they
>> all end up equal in that regard, which looks very pleasing
>> (especially for fit width). It would be really good if this could
>> be implemented (and made configurable, since you don't think it
>> should be the default behaviour).

Oh, I think I will never ever be in the same league as Okular. But
nevertheless, if you check out the current revision of the future
branch you'll find:

A setting to switch whether fit to page (width) will scale uniformly
or not. (Default is to scale per page.)

A build-time option in "qpdfview.pri" called PAINT_LINKS which you can
comment out to disable the red borders around links. (And another one
called RENDER_FROM_DISK to enable parallel rendering of different
pages in the same view by opening several instance of the document
file. This will speed up rendering for large (e.g. scanned) or scanned
documents but introduces a slight delay. (This actually is the default
behaviour in trunk. Yields weird semantics concerning file change on
disk, so beware.)) (I did it using a build-time option since it did
not want to endanger to performance of methods like PageItem::paint by
called QSettings and possibly doing I/O. You seem more than capable to
customize the build, so I hope this makes you happy in this point.)

>> Making page up/down scroll by the screenfull (since they only put
>> you at the start of the previous/next page), while still changing
>> pages if they reach the top/bottom would also be nice.

I'll think about that some more... But frankly, there are so many
options to pan using the keyboard, the mouse, the mouse wheel... But
as I said, I'll think about it.

Best regards, Adam.