Re: [Question #199474]: Features to save vertical space (tab management and shortcuts)

    Assignee: None => Adam Reichold

Description changed to:

Hello,

Let me say in first place also that until now, epdfview was the viewer I used in linux. The reason is that is lightweight and unlike evince, it does save vertical position (it is incredible why some applications like evince does not have this basic feature), like qpdfview does. The cons of epdfview are the rendering that sometimes fails, lack of features like view thumbnails and mainly because it looks like an abandoned project, without new versions since more than a year ago, despite some important bugs. Usually, I use mupdf if I want to just look at the document, but now qpdfview is becoming my epdfviewer replacement.

I discovered qpdfview and I think is less buggy that epdfview, it looks
beautiful and for a new project, is already a great program.

NowI think these are not very difficult to implement (I am not a
programmer, it is just a feeling I have) and I will be grateful if these
ideas are taken into consideration:

1)  Option to hide the tab bar (in other words, remove the tab view)
when only one document is opened. I think is really important because
the tab takes a lot of space, so all tabbed pdf viewers I know (in
windows, the likes of Foxit and PDF-Xchangte, for example) allow this
option.

Note: A complementary feature to this one, present also in some of the
mentioned viewers is to allow multiple instances, so people who doesn't
like tabs, or need to view simultaneously two pdf files, have an option
here.

2) Shortcut (with Function Keys like other viewers) to see/hide the
outline (I guess this is the analogue of bookmars in other viewers) and
thumbnails. For example, epdfview has F9 to see/hide the outline, others
have F8 to see/hide the thumbnail view.

3) One flaw of epdfview that is replicated in qpdfview is the following:
I like to hide the file and view bar in order to save space. In order to
allow myself that, I need to have shortcuts to do the same functions I
see in the file and view bar, of course. But there is no command to go
to an specific page!!! The "go to page ..." is missing. So, I am forced
to have the file bar because I can't do this easily on the keyboard.
Curiously, epdfview and qpdfview are the only pdf viewers I know (from a
long, long list in Windows and Linux) that have this problem.

4) With respect to bugs or incorrect behavior, it is nice and important
that qpdfview saves position and view settings once it is closed. That
means that if I opened a document and activated the outline view, next
time I open the document, this is restored. HOWEVER, if I open the
program (blank) without opening a file, the outline view shouldn't
appear if there is not file opened; that is happening in the version as
of today.

Thanks for all your attention and reply to this message. Kudos for the
great work; as I mentioned above, with just a few months is has become
already in one of the best pdf viewers out there and my viewer of
choice.

Have a nice day.

qpdfview, which is an answer contact for qpdfview.