Re: [Question #202460]: Possibility of Browser PDF Plugin in Linux

Adam Reichold proposed the following answer:
Hello Pascual,

That's high praise, thank you. But please keep in mind that all the
heavy-lifting is done by the poppler library, large parts of which
consist of contributions by the developers of those viewers you mention.
So qpdfview is in some sense just a frontend for poppler and the praise
should go to the people contributing to the poppler code base regularly.
Well, never mind...

Concerning the a possible browser plug-in, there are several options: We
could chose to make qpdfview work better with "mozplugger" (maybe by
adding a command-line option for a "plug-in mode") or we could aim to
build our own plug-in using "qtbrowserplugin" (c.f.
https://qt.gitorious.org/qt-solutions/qt-
solutions/trees/master/qtbrowserplugin). While the second option is
probably more desirable, the first option is probably easier to
implement.

Maybe one should also keep in mind that Mozilla is working on a pure
web-based PDF renderer "pdf.js" (c.f. http://mozilla.github.com/pdf.js/)
which might remove the need for a PDF plug-in completely in the long
run.

Independently of what we choose to do, I would prefer to discuss on-
going development efforts on the mailing list. It is what it's there for
and IMHO more comfortable to use. This question can then be updated when
something specific was decided. (I would also be interested to find
another developer who is interested in maintaining a plug-in as my spare
time is already stretched thinly. But let's see what we can do...)

Best regards, Adam.

qpdfview, which is an answer contact for qpdfview.