Re: [Question #202460]: Possibility of Browser PDF Plugin in Linux

    Assignee: None => Adam Reichold

Description changed to:
Hello again,

I have been following the developement of qpdfview in Linux as I use it as my default PDF viewer. In only a few months, this program has become a great PDF viewer, one of the best in Linux (perhaps Okular is more complete, but this program has better looks and is less resource humgry). I think it is already better than Evince or ePDFView.

On the other hand, only the Adobe Acrobat version for Linux has
something very important and useful nowadays: a browser PDF plugin;
which works for the main browsers (Firefox, Chrome/Chromium and Opera).
Certainly, given that Acrobat is a resource hog and definitely not the
best option in Linux, one wishes another PDF program in Linux could have
this plugin option.

In windows, all main freeware PDF viewers have browser plugins
(SumatraPDF, Foxit, PDF-XChange, Acrobat) and it is only in Linux that
we lack this option. Of course, Chrome has its own native plugin (which
doesn't work in other browsers), but if we look at the other PDF
programs, if we use their plugins, basically in the browser we see the
same programs, with menus, embedded in the browser window.

I tested using qpdview embedded in Firefox by using the mozplugger
application (a Mozilla plugin module) and it looks awesome (for example,
Okular looked awful, because it has too much toolbars you can't remove)!
... of course, I had removed the toolbars in the default view, so it can
have a more minimalistic look. However, given that the arrow keys
doesn't work to change pages, the only way you can change pages is by
scrolling the mouse (because the other keys have specific functions in
the browser, so they didn't work with the viewer).

So, I would like to ask if it is possible to create a browser plugin for
qpdfview; this is a very desirable feature and none of the open source
PDF viewers in Linux have this option. Most Linux users are reluctant to
use Acrobat in Linux, and even less people is willing to install Acrobat
just to have a browser plugin. So, if qpdfview could have this feature,
it would fill a very important void in Linux. And this is something that
might attract a lot of "good publicity" (for example having a note in
webupd8 and other important blogs that feature interesting applications)
and as a consequence, bigger user base that can collaborate testing and
possibly contributing to this nice project.

Thanks for your attention.

qpdfview, which is an answer contact for qpdfview.