Re: NPAPI plug-in using qpdfview's DocumentView class

Thanks a lot for your answers! I will start to test the qtbrowserplugin :)

1) Before doing that, during the night I realize some things about the
problematic vertical toolbars (which might help, at least temporarily):

- The "Current page" button has the problem that includes the box with the
page, but also outside is indicated the total number of pages (something
like "1" of 7) and when put this vertically it creates a problem. I tried
in the settings file to eliminate the "numberofPages" and still behaves
bad, because the current page button alone is not centered.

Perhaps, instead of "1" of 7, it could be something like "1"/7 without
spaces to make the button much smaller. Clearly, these toolbars are better
vertically given that qpdfview allows this possibility.

- The View toolbar looks bad vertically basically because it is too wide.
Why? Because the form for "Scale Factor" includes as parameters "Page
width" and "Page Size". My experience using tons of PDF viewers says thar
these two parameters are actually not necessary. For example, what
SumatraPDF makes (they also deliberated about making the toolbars smaller)
and also Google Chrome is to include buttons for these actions (Fit to
Page, Fit to width, Continuous) and these solves the problem, because now
the scale factor only includes numbers, hence with would be smaller.
Perhaps these buttons individually already exist, but I didn't found them.

In other words, I don't think it is necessary right now (thinking in your
time) to implement yet a fancy solution for the vertical toolbars, just to
make the problematic buttons smaller and centered and include a few new
buttons for basic actions (and these buttons could be included vertically
in the default look in the browser plugin).

2) I agree that the best way to change the .conf file is simply have just
one and include parameters for the browser plugin.

3) I was experimenting with mozplugger and I realize something interesting
and I don't know if this situations happens in your idea:  Initially, I had
included the following in the mozpluggerrc file:

        repeat noisy needs_xembed swallow(qpdfview) fill: qpdfview "$file"

And I realized that if I use different tabs with opened PDF files, it would
open a new instance of qpdfview, hence consuming more memory. So, I
thought: What happens if I change this to:

repeat noisy needs_xembed swallow(qpdfview) fill: qpdfview --unique
"$file"

I realize something awesome happened: Everytime I opened a new pdf file in
a new browser tab, it would just create a new tab in qpdfview (only showed
in the browser tab where the first PDF file was opened). Perhaps this is
not the way some users want, but actually in my case I really like it!! And
it consumes less memory, because it does not create a new instance of the
program. So I thought that maybe this could be let as an option to the user
(a box to check if they want "unique" more or not) ... so the user, if
he/she wants, could take advantage of the fact we have a tabbed PDF
viewer.  Of course, in case of using tabs, the default could be with the
tabs showed vertically (because of what we commented before that in
browsers, horizontal space is available and we try to save as much vertical
space as possible).

4) You mentioned at the beginning that the fact open with a PDF plugin
saves files in a temporary folder and described it as "not elegant" but
simple, actually this is the normal setting, because usually the reason
lots of people use a pdf plugin is because they want to see the file before
downloading it.

These are my current settings in qpdfview used with mozplugger, it could
give you also more ideas ... look at the second image with tabs.

Image 1:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18/201207111423161366x768s.png/

Image 2:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/225/201207111423401366x768s.png/