Re: [Question #276010]: Can I open compressed files?

Adam Reichold proposed the following answer:
Hello Jesse,

PDF and DjVu support internal content-type-specific compression
mechanisms that are usually more effective than just compressing the
whole file, so the only format where this is really useful is
PostScript. But then again that format seems to be more and more limited
to intermediate resp. temporary files where compression is not that
useful as well. And since the libraries we use would more or less force
us to pass a local path as the lowest common denominator for file
access, we would probably end up extracting the compressed file into a
temporary file which not very effective and can probably achieved just
as well by using a small helper scripts the calls gzip/bzip2/xz/etc
first and then qpdfview. Therefore I don't think this should be
implemented in qpdfview.

Best regards, Adam.