Re: [Question #691809]: How to save bookmarks to the file

Adam Reichold proposed the following answer:
Hello again,

I think I understand what you mean and have to admit that this is
currently not implemented, neither by modifying the PDF documents in
place as the Poppler library's Qt frontend does not have such
functionality yet to e.g. modify the outline of a document, nor by
creating a sidecar file that can be moved together with the PDF
document.

Creating a sidecar file containing the bookmarks should be relatively
straight forward to implement but would still have the usability
downside of loosing bookmarks when the sidecar is not renamed/moved
together with the file it refers to. One could try to avoid this using
extend file system attributes but that will probably fail to work when
e.g. using a flash drive formatted with  FAT.

Another option that should be straight forward would be to create a file
attachment annotation in the PDF that contains qpdfview's bookmark data
but that would mean injecting that annotation somewhere and it being
visible in the file, so it seems like that would be a manual procedure
and could hence also be forgotten.

Best regards,
Adam