[Question #694248]: The bad state of font rendering without anti-aliasing

New question #694248 on qpdfview:

PDF font rendering, with anti-aliasing disabled, is very bad in all open source PDF readers I tried. For that reason I'm still using the discontinued (for Linux) Adobe Reader. I'm sure this affects more people than just me, since there is a sizeable group of people that can't stand anti-aliased fonts.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the cause of this problem and whether it will ever be fixed.

See my bug report here for a comparison: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/poppler/poppler/-/issues/970.