quickly-talk team mailing list archive

Preferences

Tony has proposed an interesting idea: preferences for templates.

https://code.launchpad.net/~quickly-committers/quickly/ide/+merge/61326

That branch adds a preference system and the first preference: what editor you want to open files in.

You might ask as I did, "what about QUICKLY_EDITOR", but Tony says:

"""
Having an environment variable for each template would be unwieldy.
Also the environment variables are effectively
export PARAMETER=value in the ~/.bashrc file
while
parameter=value in the ~/.config/quickly/preferences file allows a
$quickly preferences command to edit them and apply instantly without
requiring a terminal restart.
"""

Anyway, the point of this email is to see what others think, since this is an arguably big change.

I think Tony also has other plans for the preference system. But I'm not clear on exactly what they are.

-mt

Follow ups