quickly-talk team mailing list archive

Re: Preferences

Le vendredi 27 mai 2011 à 09:04 -0400, Michael Terry a écrit :
> Tony has proposed an interesting idea: preferences for templates.
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/~quickly-committers/quickly/ide/+merge/61326
>
> That branch adds a preference system and the first preference: what
> editor you want to open files in.
>
> You might ask as I did, "what about QUICKLY_EDITOR", but Tony says:
>
> """
> Having an environment variable for each template would be unwieldy.
> Also the environment variables are effectively
> export PARAMETER=value in the ~/.bashrc file
> while
> parameter=value in the ~/.config/quickly/preferences file allows a
> $quickly preferences command to edit them and apply instantly without
> requiring a terminal restart.
> """
>
> Anyway, the point of this email is to see what others think, since
> this is an arguably big change.

I'm not quite sure about this change. I'm all in favor that the
get_quickly_editors() get into quickly/templatetools.py rather that
adding another preference system.

This part is an advanced use case, that is already adressed by some way
by QUICKY_EDITOR, I think we should really focus our effort first to get
the user/developer experience appealing (which is still not reached at
all IMHO) for our resources than trying to add a billions of options for
advanced usage (which are already covered in some other way).

The restarting the terminal is already needed (maybe will be fixed in
the near future btw), after installing Quickly to get shell completion
on.

Also, for a long time, I try to fight adding to much commands in Quickly
itself so that we don't end up with a long list of commands, so really
not sure about the preferences one. Less is more. ;)

So, I think the idea of still supporting advanced use case is important
(and that's why we added EDITOR, and then QUICKLY_EDITOR support), but
I'm not really certain that change is relevant? Thoughts? Do we have any
idea of people who will change the EDITOR between templates, or who will
change the defaults?

Just my 2 cents :)

Didier