quickly-talk team mailing list archive

The template fork problem

Hi all
 I find the current quickly template system a bit rigid. There are a
few differences I like to the current template but making a local
template ($quickly quickly ubuntu-application local-template) means
that it doesn't get bug fixes and enhancements from upstream, i.e.
quickly. So I manually rewrite my local template every 6 months.
 I have proposed a branch to allow $quickly add to grab files from
outside of quickly. This will allow customisation of a project without
the need to fork a template.

 If you have more than one custom option you could end up with a huge
number of templates. Imagine you have 3 custom changes, you could end
up with

template_variant_1, template_variant_2, template_variant_3,
template_variant_1&2, template_variant_1&3, template_variant_2&3,
template_variant_1&2&3.

This looks better
$quickly create ubuntu-application my-project
cd  my-project
# some of these
$quickly add plugin1
$quickly add plugin2
$quickly add plugin3

I like my local templates to have these features, not necessarily all together.
On a slow pc I use ~/.config/project-name.json instead of couchdb. If
an application does not use Launchpad help, remove the "optional"
LaunchpadIntegration section. This has the side effect of removing
python-launchpad-integration from dependencies. With these 2 changes a
quickly created project runs in other OS. The source tree is even
runnable in Microsoft's windows, it only needs python and pygtk.
Remember size and position of project window, this was rejected from
ubuntu-application template.