quickly-talk team mailing list archive

desktopcouch

Hello! Thanks for all those that attended the UDS session today, in person and remotely.

After the talk, I dusted off my gtk3 branch and decided that I want to replace our desktopcouch preference system with gsettings.

1) desktopcouch can't be used with GTK3 right now.
-> PyGI requires GTK3 and GTK3 requires PyGI. So they have to be done in parallel. -> You can't mix GTK3 with GTK2 and you can't mix PyGI with PyGObject/PyGtk.
  -> The desktopcouch module uses PyGObject.
-> Porting desktopcouch is a bit of an issue because the project has tools that (A) use PyGtk and (B) depend on Twisted's gtk2reactor. A gtk3reactor does not exist yet (there is a patch in their tracker that has been untouched for over 7 months).

2) The Ubuntu project recommends elsewhere that gsettings is the One Way to Set Preferences.

3) During the session, we decided to drop marginal features from the project_roots for the LTS. The synchronization from desktopcouch doesn't seem like a super important use case.

Thoughts?
-mt

Follow ups