quickly-talk team mailing list archive

Re: ANNOUNCE: ubuntu-qt-template ubuntu-qtquick-template

Al 23/05/12 19:05, En/na Angelo Compagnucci ha escrit:
> Dear quickly developers and users,
>
> I'm announcing the immediate availability of quickly templates for QT4
> an QTQUICK!
>
> You can find they here on my branch:
> lp:~angeloc/quickly/ubuntu-qt-template
>
> They are both based on pyside, which suited better for the licensing
> freedom and qtquick integration.
>
> They are complete and I consider them mature enough to make serious
> applications!
>
> I'm grateful if you give they a try and report me bugs or features missing.
>
> There is also a merge proposal
> here https://code.launchpad.net/~angeloc/quickly/ubuntu-qt-template/+merge/107077
>
> Hope hearing you soon and hope you enjoy it!
>
> --
> Profile: http://it.linkedin.com/in/compagnucciangelo

Hi Angelo,

This is really awesome, good work!

I've installed and tested both templates, so I'm reporting my feedback
in the hope that it can be useful to make them even better.

General
-------
• The apps created do not have global menu integration. However, they do
after installing the 'appmenu-qt' package. I'm not sure what the best
way to sort this out is. Perhaps adding a dependency to 'appmentu-qt' to
the packages created by your templates?
• The template names are named ubuntu-qt-application and
ubuntu-qtquick-application. Have you considered moving the qt and
qtquick part to the end of the name, e.g. ubuntu-application-qtquick? I
think that would make them easier to find and type with tab completion
when writing 'ubuntu-application'<Tab>
• There are quite a few warnings when running any command. Here's an
example [1]. It would be nice to address them to make them either
disappear or hide them, as they will be confusing for new app
developers, and can give a suboptimal first impression.
• The 'Credits' button in the about dialog needs to be either
implemented or removed

Qt app template
---------------
• It adds a PreferencesDialog.py that is GTK-based instead of Qt. It's
probably a leftover from the original 'ubuntu-application' template

Qt Quick app template
---------------------
• Question: how do you edit the animation?
• There's a get_media_file() function in helpers.py that you could use
in this line
self.centralWidget().declarativeView.setSource(QUrl.fromLocalFile(testqtquickappconfig.get_data_path()+"/media/demo.qml"))

• There is a comment in PreferencesDialog.py that references gsettings
schemas. I guess the comment should be updated

Suggestions
-----------
• I'd suggest creating a separate package for the template, so that it
can be installed separately and backported to Ubuntu 12.04. You can have
a look at the 'quickly-unity-lens-template' and
'quickly-ubuntu-template' packages for examples on how to package
separate templates
• I'd also suggest creating a daily PPA for testing

That's it. I tried to be exhaustive in the test and the feedback to
match the effort you've already put in these awesome templates. Good
work in making them already full-featured and usable in your first version!

Cheers,
David.

[1] WARNING: Your project is out of date.  Newly created projects use
GTK+ 3, PyGI, and GSettings.  See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Quickly/GTK3 for
porting information and when you have finished porting your code, run
'quickly upgrade' to get rid of this message.
Got bus address:
"unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-L2HYwli1tX,guid=b54598e55e40a3d03ce2539200000040"
Connected to accessibility bus at:
"unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-L2HYwli1tX,guid=b54598e55e40a3d03ce2539200000040"
Registered DEC:  true
Registered event listener change listener:  true