quickly-talk team mailing list archive

Re: ANNOUNCE: ubuntu-qt-template ubuntu-qtquick-template

Hi David,

Many thanks for the wonderful report!

General
> -------
> • The apps created do not have global menu integration. However, they do
> after installing the 'appmenu-qt' package. I'm not sure what the best
> way to sort this out is. Perhaps adding a dependency to 'appmentu-qt' to
> the packages created by your templates?

Yes, you are right, having it already installed i've not noticed the
problem. Probably I have to add also sni-qt, digging on how to do that.

> • The template names are named ubuntu-qt-application and
> ubuntu-qtquick-application. Have you considered moving the qt and
> qtquick part to the end of the name, e.g. ubuntu-application-qtquick? I
> think that would make them easier to find and type with tab completion
> when writing 'ubuntu-application'<Tab>

Good suggestion!

> • There are quite a few warnings when running any command. Here's an
> example [1]. It would be nice to address them to make them either
> disappear or hide them, as they will be confusing for new app
> developers, and can give a suboptimal first impression.

Warning on GTK3 is not a problem related to my templates but
quickly itself. Didrocks said that is already someone addressing it. Other
messages are related to dbus but I think they are not errors.

> • The 'Credits' button in the about dialog needs to be either
> implemented or removed

Wow, passed totally unnoticed, i'll fix it asap.

> Qt app template
> ---------------
> • It adds a PreferencesDialog.py that is GTK-based instead of Qt. It's
> probably a leftover from the original 'ubuntu-application' template

Not possibile, PreferencesDialog is based on QT and it works for me, can
you give me more details?

> Qt Quick app template
> ---------------------
> • Question: how do you edit the animation?

Right, I've not added that to the design command, fixing asap.

> • There's a get_media_file() function in helpers.py that you could use
> in this line
>
> self.centralWidget().declarativeView.setSource(QUrl.fromLocalFile(testqtquickappconfig.get_data_path()+"/media/demo.qml"))

OK.

> • There is a comment in PreferencesDialog.py that references gsettings
> schemas. I guess the comment should be updated

Again, give me more details, because for me, it's based on QT.

> Suggestions
> -----------
> • I'd suggest creating a separate package for the template, so that it
> can be installed separately and backported to Ubuntu 12.04. You can have
> a look at the 'quickly-unity-lens-template' and
> 'quickly-ubuntu-template' packages for examples on how to package
> separate templates

I'm not strong in ubuntu packaging, I can make a dedicated branch and
opening a new project, if anyone wants to help here, i'm really grateful.

> • I'd also suggest creating a daily PPA for testing

Same here.

> That's it. I tried to be exhaustive in the test and the feedback to
> match the effort you've already put in these awesome templates. Good
> work in making them already full-featured and usable in your first version!

Thanks!

--
Profile: http://it.linkedin.com/in/compagnucciangelo