quickly-talk team mailing list archive

Re: Introduction and a question about quickly workflow

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Michael Terry
<michael.terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 19/06/12 00:58, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>>
>> Anyways my long term goal is to make a functional alternative template
>> for Fedora so apps developed with quickly can package/publish/submit
>> against a Fedora target, without disrupting the ability to
>> package/publish/submit Ubuntu. And then from there an ebuild template
>> perhaps.
>

> Sounds great!
>

>> quickly pull to update my local files with the latest mainline branch
>> quickly edit : this works just fine.
>> quickly push to commit my changes into a personal branch
>> quickly merge-request to send a notice of a merge request through lp
>> for David to review.
>

> Thinking about this, I fear it will be a rabbit hole, where we'd have to
> keep adding thin bzr-veneers to quickly in order to keep up the illusion.
>
> You identified the basic elements of collaboration: pull, edit, commit,
> push, merge-request.  But to support those, we'd need a couple more.
>
> - A "quickly diff" so the user knows what they are pushing.
> - Probably a "quickly resolve" to deal with conflicts after a pull.
>
> What's the motivation to abstract the VCS?  The ubuntu-application template
> can just say "use bzr to collaborate, we've set it up for you already" and
> the fedora-application template can say the same, but for git.
>
> We don't have strong decision making guidelines for what Quickly chooses to
> abstract and what it doesn't.  But I'd say that since the layer here would
> be so thin and collaboration isn't an early-project kind of friction that
> risks killing a new developer's motivation, I'm happy to just point the user
> at an external tool.  I'm actually curious why we have "quickly save".
The only "rule" that we had in quickly was that everything should be
"easy and fun".

We put in quickly save so that the user didn't have to worry about
learning what it means to add and commit, but would get a roll back
point.

HTH

Cheers, Rick